Maintaining all the angles and dimensions when filing freehand is very difficult and requires practice. STIHL therefore recommends the use of filing aids and a regular inspection by your STIHL Approved Dealer.
1) Cut-out for checking depth gauge setting
2) Sighting edge for filing angle
3) Bar groove cleaner and scale for measuring the groove depth of the guide bar
4) Sighting edge for side plate angle
STIHL offers filing gauges for checking the depth gauge settings and tooth angles. Choose the filing gauge that matches the chain pitch and you can check all necessary angles and dimensions. The filing gauge simplifies the process of checking and lowering the depth gauges.
A filing gauge allows depth gauge settings to be checked quickly and simply and should be used with all the following filing aids, except the 2-in-1 Easyfile and the FG 4.
The STIHL filing template is an easy-to-use tool that helps you maintain the correct filing angle.
It simply attaches to the guide bar using two magnets and has raised sighting lines for the correct filing angle.
The STIHL file holder helps you keep the file at the correct height and angle during filing. The file holder must match the chain pitch.
Resting the STIHL file holder properly on the top plate and depth gauge ensures that the file is held at the right height and the correct side plate angle is maintained. A 30° mark on the file holder also helps you maintain the filing angle.
The filing template can be used as an additional optical aid for file alignment.
FF1 File holder guide
If you don't want to rely on purely optical alignment aids when sharpening the chain, the STIHL file holder guide is the ideal tool.
- Select the file holder guide that matches the chain pitch and place it over the chain on the guide bar at an angle of 30°.
- The file holder is held and guided laterally by the guide and lined up at the correct filing angle of 30° to the guide bar.
- All you have to do is slide the file holder through the file holder guide at a right angle to the guide bar.
- Once you have sharpened all the cutters, check the depth gauge setting and correct if necessary.
STIHL recommends the 2-in-1 EasyFile file holder if you want to sharpen the cutters and lower the depth gauges at the same time.
Like the standard file holder, the 2-in-1 EasyFile keeps the file at the correct height in the cutter. The arrangement of the handles and markings offers you a very good optical guide to maintaining the 30° filing angle.
The FG 4 roller filing guide is an excellent aid for manual filing.
- Select the roller filing guide and round file that suit the chain pitch
- The roller filing guide is placed directly over the chain on the guide bar and assists you in positioning the file in all directions.
- Place the round file in the roller filing guide
- The alignment of the file is perfect when it glides smoothly and without snagging over the two lower rollers at the correct filing angle.
The FG 4 also has a small fold-out filing plate for checking and lowering the depth gauges.
This filing plate is specially toughened so that it can be left in position while the depth gauge is filed down.
The orientation of the filing plate makes it easier to maintain the depth gauge setting and eliminates the need to subsequently file the depth gauge at a sloping angle.
Manual filing tools are suitable for precision sharpening of saw chains. They ensure accurate positioning of the file and thus restore blunt saw chains to full sharpness.
The stop for positioning the cutter to be sharpened simplifies maintenance of identical cutter lengths.
The FG 2 should be mounted to a table or bench requiring the saw chain to be removed from the guide bar for sharpening.
FG 1 filing tool is attached to the guide bar and operates in the same way as the FG 2 tool.